Jim Daniel's STAM Seminars
Take a look at my Austin Study Notes, available to anyone as a free download; you should find one helpful to you in studying for Exam STAM.
Comments by participants.
I've created threads on the popular Actuarial Outpost actuarial discussion site (www.actuarialoutpost.com) and asked former participants in my seminars to post comments there, pro or con. Here are links to the threads for Exam STAM (and old C/4 and the even older Course 4).
Fees, payment, and registration.
The fee for the seminar is $1600. Payment can be made by check to Jim Daniel, or by credit card over a secure connection (processed through PayPal, where you can choose to buy on credit). Since the seminar sometimes fills up, checks should be mailed for next-day delivery; if an employer is paying and needs time to process payment, I'll reserve the slot if a person with financial authority sends me an e-mail or fax guaranteeing payment by the employer. In any case, please complete a registration form and submit it to Jim Daniel.
Back in 2010, as an experiment for the start-up company AbacusLI, I recorded a low-tech set of "Fundamentals or "Overview" or "Roadmap" videos for what was then SoA/CAS Exam C/4. These weren't videos of my exam-prep seminar; rather, they were a new kind of learning resource that presented just the main big ideas with some elementary (not exam-like) demonstration problems and solutions to illustrate the main ideas. These videos were intended as a sort of "preview" course learners could view before digging into all the details in a study manual, full video course, textbook, or face-to-face exam-prep seminar. When AbacusLI closed up shop at the end of 2017, the videos were released to me to use however I please. While the videos seem rather inelegant all these years later, almost all of them remain applicable to SoA Exam STAM. So I've deleted the irrelevant videos and am providing them at no additional cost to people who take my face-to-face exam-prep seminar for STAM.
Jim Daniel's STAM Seminar is a traditional exam-prep intensive seminar. It assumes that participants have already devoted appreciable time to studying the material and are familiar with most of it. The daily format is about 50% fast-paced lecture, 25% my demonstrating problem solving, and 25% participants' working on problems with guidance from me, for six days (plus a day off on Sunday). Review Seminars are usually scheduled four-to-eight weeks before the exam.
- Dates. The following link is for registration and payment information on the currently-scheduled Jim Daniel's STAM Seminars:
- Just outside of Sacramento, CA (in Davis), 16 - 22 August 2018 (with a day off on Sunday), for the October exams.
- Just outside of Sacramento, CA (in Davis), 6 - 12 December (with a day off on Sunday), for the February exams (registration form available in October 2018).
- Format. Each day's session will consist of:
- 50% review lectures on the fundamental concepts most often tested
- 25% demonstrations of problem solving
- 25% guided practice solving problems
- Schedule. See Jim Daniel's STAM Seminar Schedule for a detailed schedule.
- Participants are provided a collection of additional practice problems for use at the Seminar as a pdf file by e-mail shortly before the start of the Seminar.
- Bring the following materials to the seminar. You'll use these practice problems each day at the Seminar, so be sure to have them with you daily. And of course bring an approved calculator. Plus lots of scratch paper. Participants should bring to the Seminar the SoA's sample questions (and solutions) for Exam STAM available from links on the Syllabus with Learning Objectives/Outcomes and Readings that is itself a link on https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-exam-stam-detail.aspx .
- Although we'll not use them in the Seminar sessions, I recommend that you bring along for review as needed whatever textbooks or study manuals you are using to prepare for Exam STAM.