Jim Daniel's C/4 Seminars
Take a look at my Austin Study Notes, available to anyone as a free download; you should find some helpful to you in studying for Exam C/4.
Comments by participants.
I've created threads on the popular Actuarial Outpost actuarial discussion site (www.actuarialoutpost.com) and asked former participants in my seminars to post comments there, pro or con. Here are links to the threads for Exam C/4 (and old Course 4).
Fees, payment, and registration.
The fee for the seminar is $1300. Payment can be made by check to Jim Daniel, or by credit card over a secure connection (processed through PayPal, where you can choose to buy on credit). Since the seminar sometimes fills up, checks should be mailed for next-day delivery; if an employer is paying and needs time to process payment, I'll reserve the slot if a person with financial authority sends me an e-mail or fax guaranteeing payment by the employer. In any case, please complete a registration form and submit it to Jim Daniel.
Jim Daniel's C/4 Seminar is a traditional exam-prep intensive seminar. It assumes that participants have already devoted appreciable time to studying the material and are familiar with most of it. The daily format is about 50% fast-paced lecture, 25% my demonstrating problem solving, and 25% participants' working on problems with guidance from me, for five days usually including a weekend. Review Seminars are usually scheduled four-to-eight weeks before the exam.
- Dates. The following link is for registration and payment information on the currently-scheduled Jim Daniel's C/4 Seminars:
- Just outside of Sacramento, CA (in Davis), 9 - 13 December, for the February exams.
- Just outside of Sacramento, CA (in Davis), 2 - 6 May, for the June exams (registration form available in January 2018).
- Format. Each day's session will consist of:
- 50% review lectures on the fundamental concepts most often tested
- 25% demonstrations of problem solving
- 25% guided practice solving problems
- Schedule. See Jim Daniel's C/4 Seminar Schedule for a detailed schedule.
- Participants are provided a collection of additional practice problems for use at the Seminar as a pdf file by e-mail shortly before the start of the Seminar.
- Bring the following materials to the seminar. You'll use these practice problems each day at the Seminar, so be sure to have them with you daily. And of course bring an approved calculator. Plus lots of scratch paper. Participants should bring to the Seminar the spring 2007 SoA/CAS Exam C/4 and any more recent released exams (available from a link at http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/syllabus-study-materials/edu-multiple-choice-exam.aspx ) along with the SoA/CAS's sample questions (and solutions) for Exam C/4 (available as Study Note C-09-08 from links on the Syllabus with Learning Objectives/Outcomes and Readings that is itself a link on http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-exam-c-detail.aspx again).
- Although we'll not use them in the Seminar sessions, I recommend that you bring along for review as needed whatever textbooks or study manuals you are using to prepare for Exam C/4.